[csw-maintainers] Our infrastructure on Solaris 9

Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Mon Aug 5 15:37:04 CEST 2013

Our current support level for Solaris 9 is best effort: if a package
maintainer wishes to build a Solaris 9 package, they can go and do it, but
it's optional. For this to be possible, the package building infrastructure
must be fully operative on Solaris 9. If we stop maintaining the
infrastructure on Solaris 9, it will eventually break and Solaris 9 will
effectively stop being best effort and will start being completely
unsupported.

Here are the two general options:

1. Don't do anything. When it breaks, it remains broken. We'll make an
announcement when this happens.
2. Support a subset of packages for Solaris 9, such as cswclassutils, and
GAR with friends. If it turns out to be too much effort, we stop supporting
Solaris 9.

What do we do?