[csw-maintainers] Our infrastructure on Solaris 9

Laurent Blume laurent at opencsw.org
Tue Aug 6 09:58:53 CEST 2013

On 06/08/13 00:43, Peter Bonivart wrote:
> Me too. I suspect that subset will be quite large, I had to stop
> building pkgutil for Solaris 8 because basically nothing worked in GAR
> for Solaris 8 and the same will happen to Solaris 9. It's a wasteful
> effort, Solaris 10 was released in 2005...

I generally concur with all of the above.

I would like to add a suggestion: outline precisely what somebody would
need to do if they really wanted to get S9 builds running.
There are still so many people whining when their S8 boxes stops
running, I can't help thinking there must be an awful lot of
mission-critical and yet fully unsupported S9 out there (unless it was
really little used, because I've known sysadmins avoiding odd-numbered
Solaris versions).
And that, in my opinion, could be either in participating directly, of
course, or in the form of paying a fee or contacting an organization, an
individual who would do the job of keeping those S9 packages running for
a fee, and support OpenCSW in another way.

Is that reasonable? Doable?

Laurent