[csw-maintainers] Our infrastructure on Solaris 9

Laurent Blume laurent at opencsw.org
Tue Aug 6 13:30:37 CEST 2013

On 06/08/13 11:03, Peter FELECAN wrote:

> This reasonable and doable, However, from my standpoint, it is outside
> the scope of OpenCSW.
>
> BTW, can somebody explain what hinders the adoption of Solaris 10 in a
> private or an enterprise environment after 8 years of availability.

Don't ask /me/, I have nfc. But it's a fact.

> The only case I know from direct experience is in a manufacturing unit
> where a multi million euro machine tool is controlled by a Solaris 2.5.1
> running system and the supplier ask an equivalent amount to update the
> controller by replacing it with an unit running an old version of
> Microsoft Windows (what a deal). There is even worse, in a similar
> environment there is a SunOS 4.3 controller unit. Now, should we support
> all this? The only software stack that they are using is specific to
> that machine tool. They don't need the last shiny Python interpreter or
> a 64 bit Guile library.

Well, if somebody wants to do it as a paid job, and OpenCSW can provide
an existing infrastructure that helps doing it, and OpenCSW benefits for
it, then why not?

> What bothers me is that all this energy is wasted instead of spending it
> on other venues, such as Solaris 11 native support, documentation, web
> site, &c.

The point is exactly that it should not be wasted. Paid-for work is
productive. It'd be wasted if it were done for free. The thing is making
sure that's it's worth it for OpenCSW.

S11, well, I think it'll be discussed in Berlin.

Laurent