[csw-maintainers] symptoms for Python 2.6 vs 2.7 incompatibility for binary modules

Peter FELECAN pfelecan at opencsw.org
Fri Aug 9 19:40:42 CEST 2013

"Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński" <maciej at opencsw.org> writes:

> 2013/8/9 Peter FELECAN <pfelecan at opencsw.org>
>>
>> That's quite bad and it shows why adding
>> /opt/csw/lib/python/site-packages at the end of the search path for
>> Python 2.7 was not a reasonable solution.
>>
>> I will experiment with a 2.7 Python without this patch which force us to
>> speed up the delivery of adapted modules. However, this is not a real
>> issue as we are in "unstable", isn't it?
>
> We've just introduced Python 2.7, it's a reasonable expectation that
> the module support will grow gradually.

My experimentation is successful, i.e. it confirms that having the non
multi-versioned path in the search list for modules is not a good thing
for the 2.7 interpreter. Consequently I uploaded a new Python 2.7 set of
packages which doesn't suffer anymore of this brain damage...

The first module ready to be uploaded is lxml. Wanting for the new 2.7
interpreter's installation on the build farm.

> It would be good to have a list saying which modules are available for
> which versions.

I created this page:

http://wiki.opencsw.org/python-2-x-multi-versioned-modules

on which we can list the modules transition to the multi-versioned
recipe.

--
Peter