[csw-maintainers] Non-Maintainer Uploads (NMUs)

Peter FELECAN pfelecan at opencsw.org
Thu Aug 15 09:38:51 CEST 2013

"Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński" <maciej at opencsw.org> writes:

> 2013/8/14 Peter FELECAN <pfelecan at opencsw.org>:
>>    As we can see, there is no need of a new package field, nor to
>>    query the database during the build to obtain the set of
>>    maintainers.
>
> OK, so your idea is that the package will know who built the package,
> but will not know the maintainer set. One problem with this design is
> that if you tear down and rebuild the package database, you will lose
> the information about the maintainer sets. The same would happen with
> private buildfarms, they would not have this information. So far, I was
> always trying to enclose all the relevant information inside the
> packages.

I understand that but don't think that is an obstacle. BTW, the mantis
database contains the set of maintainers as all the managers of a
project. Consequently, we have backup of the information which can help
the reconstruction of the database.

>> 2. As for the persons implementing this, from an efficiency point of
>>    view, who are the best suited candidates in your opinion?
>
> Anyone who cares and understands at least a little bit of Python.
> Whoever does it, will have to walk through multiple stages and levels
> of data processing. If someone new takes on this task, they will learn
> a lot about the infrastructure and improve our bus factor (yay!).

My question wasn't innocent as I read some parts of the code and I must
confess that an architecture documentation, at least, is missing to
understand the thing. For example I'll had a great difficulty to set up
a test platform to explore the needed modifications. I think that the
effort needed to implement this by a novice is at least one order of
magnitude greater than that for one who already knows the code and
architecture.
--
Peter