ld has been inconsistently upgraded on the buildfarm

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Thu Dec 12 20:00:42 CET 2013

Hi Jake,

Am 12.12.2013 um 19:53 schrieb Jake Goerzen via buildfarm:
> On 11/13/13 06:16, Dagobert Michelsen via buildfarm wrote:
>> Am 13.11.2013 um 10:03 schrieb Laurent Blume via buildfarm <buildfarm at lists.opencsw.org>:
>>> Regularly, I'm having silly issues with linking on the buildfarm with different behaviour on x86 and sparc.
>>> This time, in krb5-lib: with the same recipe, some binaries get linked to libintl.so on unstable10s, and they don't on unstable10x.
>>> On my home system, x86, they do get linked.
>>>
>>> I'm noticing that ld on the buildfarm is not at all consistent:
>>>
>>> At home:
>>> -rwxr-xr-x   1 root     bin        10300 janv 14  2013 /usr/ccs/bin/ld
>>>
>>> unstable10s:
>>> $ ls -l /usr/ccs/bin/ld
>>> -rwxr-xr-x   1 root     bin        10788 Jan 16  2013 /usr/ccs/bin/ld
>>>
>>> unstable10x:
>>> $ ls -l /usr/ccs/bin/ld
>>> -rwxr-xr-x   1 root     bin        10172 Jul  4  2011 /usr/ccs/bin/ld
>>>

>>> Since it's part of the kernel patch, I gather that unstable10x was kept back for some reason, as its kernel is older.
>>>
>>> Can unstable10x be upgraded? I am reasonably sure it would fix some of the linking issues I'm hitting right now.
>>
>> I would prefer not to unless we fully understand the issue as discussed on irc.
>
> Hi Dago,
>
> Has there been any update on the issue of ld being inconsistent on the buildfarm yet?  I have been putting off working on some things until a resolution has been found.

Yann has a case open at Oracle, but I doubt we get anything useful out of it.
For now I recommend just adding the extra deps and unconditionally overriding
them for i386. For mid-term William told me he will get some T5220 and he would
be willing to give one to the project. This would allow me another build-only
machine which is not going to be updated. Then we could also really stick to
u8 (or u5?) for all packaging zones. But don't expect this before q2 2014.

Sorry for the inconvenience