isaexec and Tcl/Tk

Oliver Kiddle opk at opencsw.org
Thu Dec 19 16:09:54 CET 2013

An upgrade to opencsw has broken our various Tcl/Tk applications.

This appears to be a consequence of tclsh now being a link to isaexec.
Running tclsh gets us the 64-bit version and then we can't load 32-bit
libraries. Building our software 64-bit is not an option.

Is there a way such as via an environment variable to tell isaexec to
prefer a 32-bit binary? Or is there some other solution like perhaps using
the alternatives mechanism to point tclsh8.5 at sparcv8plus/tclsh8.5
instead of at isaexec? I know that as a last resort, we can change the
#! line of our scripts but there's a lot.

The feature of running 64-bit in preference seems somewhat ill-advised on
sparc systems in general. Unlike for x86, it doesn't result in improved
performance.

Oliver