[csw-maintainers] Planned changes to GAR

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Wed Jan 2 10:34:29 CET 2013

Hi folks,

to make GAR even easier I would like to make a change in the naming of targets.
In the past the idea was to have rules like pre-configure run after configure has been
finished for all modulations and use pre-configure-modulated to be called after one
modulation. However, this has proven not to be useful as there is virtually no
usecase for things to be called after all modulations of a phase. Additionally,
the global extract modulation was always a bit different as archives like .tar.gz
are not unpacked there and adjustments must take special care as post-extract-modulated
was also called for the global modulation. So the changes in detail are:

1. The targets pre-/post-extract, -configure, -build, -test and -install are replaced
   by what was called pre-/post-extract-modulated etc.

This should make usage easier and less misleading.

2. The target pre-/post-extract are no longer called for the global modulation.

This makes the usage more consistent with the other pre-/post calls as they are
also called only in nonglobal modulation context and also removes the necessity
to handle the global special case. For the global modulation the standard-rule
applies that there is also pre-/post-extract-<modulation> like pre-extract-global.

What does this mean to your Makefile?

* Remove the -modulated in the target names
* Drop special handling in post-extract

Hopefully not more is needed. The *-modulated targets will be kept for some
time for compatibility. However, I don't know of a way to inform the user
that he has a legacy *-modulated target.

Thoughts? If everyone is ok with that I can merge my changes.