[csw-maintainers] close on nfs mounted file retruns EINVAL on i386

Carsten Grzemba grzemba at contac-dt.de
Tue Jan 22 15:57:51 CET 2013

Hi,

i tried to build ocaml. It builds without any problems on Sparc on our buildfarm. But it raise a annoying error on i386:

cgrzemba at unstable10x:~/opencsw/ocaml/trunk/work/solaris10-i386/build-isa-pentium_pro/ocaml-3.12.1$ boot/ocamlrun boot/ocamllex parsing/linenum.mll ### OCaml runtime: debug mode ###
Initial minor heap size: 1024k bytes
Initial major heap size: 496k bytes
Initial space overhead: 80%
Initial max overhead: 500%
Initial heap increment: 496k bytes
Initial allocation policy: 0
Initial stack limit: 4096k bytes
<>Starting new major GC cycle
### O'Caml runtime: heap check ###
!<>$<>$<>$<>$<>Starting new major GC cycle
### O'Caml runtime: heap check ###
!<>!12 states, 323 transitions, table size 1364 bytes
Fatal error: exception Sys_error("Invalid argument")

The invalid argument caused by a close of a file on NFS mounted FS. It works if I try to write the output to local.

It is a known problem:
http://caml.inria.fr/mantis/view.php?id=4663

The are is a work around provided which ignores the EINVAL return value from close.
Has anybody else seen such problems with NFS.

--
Carsten Grzemba