[csw-maintainers] Did I just break something?

Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Sun May 12 20:52:41 CEST 2013

2013/5/12 Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org>

> > I guess it re-uploaded pm_log_any because I rebuilt that one just to
> > make sure there were no errors so it got a new checksum.
>
> This will cause troubles as it leads to corrupt allpkgs and other oddities.
> Maciej?

Yes, it could. Consider this scenario:

1. Build foo-1.0,REV=today-all-CSW.pkg.gz
2. Upload it to 5.9, 5.10, 5.11
3. Rebuild foo-1.0,REV=today-all-CSW.pkg.gz (the same file name,
different content / md5 sum)
4. Upload it into 5.11 (replaces the file in allpkgs)

This leads to different catalogs referring to 2 different pieces of
content under one file name. But one of them was lost. When pkgutil
fetches the package, it is able to do so (because the filename is
there), but the md5 sum is different, so if you have checking enabled,
it looks like the catalog is corrupt.

If you can rebuild the package, the fix is easy: upload the same
package to all catalogs it needs to be in.

We don't currently have a check for this kind of problem in the
catalog. But it could be written, it's enough to get the catalog data
from URLs like this one:

http://buildfarm.opencsw.org/pkgdb/rest/catalogs/unstable/i386/SunOS5.10/

...and then check the data for >1 md5 sums referring to 1 file name.