[csw-maintainers] NMUs, non-maintainer uploads

Peter FELECAN pfelecan at opencsw.org
Wed May 22 11:20:10 CEST 2013

Maciej Bliziński <maciej at opencsw.org> writes:

> On Sun, Apr 14, 2013 at 04:14:03PM +0200, Peter FELECAN wrote:

>> > One more distinction: The user who uploads the package doesn't have to
>> > be the same user who ran "mgar package". So we have:
>> >
>> > 1. users who are long-term maintainers of a given package
>>
>> These are in variable containing the list and which is in the recipe,
>> i.e. Makefile and used to generate the corresponding information in the
>> pkginfo file.
>>
>> > 2. user who ran "mgar package"
>>
>> Who cares? But if you find it useful, why not.
>
> This is what we currently have. Unless somebody puts in the time to
> change the code, this is what we have to work with.
>
>> > 3. user who uploaded the package (ran csw-upload-pkg)
>>
>> This is more important that one who runs mgar and should be recorded by
>> the upload process.
>
> We have no tracking of the user who ran csw-upload-pkg. I tried to
> implement it, but our proxy stands in the way, stripping away
> REMOTE_USER.
>
> https://github.com/opencsw/gar/blob/ca2fa7fa5327bbda182201ad1f37ecc5a9979567/lib/web/releases_web.py#L208
>
> (I'm giving links to github, because the sf.net code browser is too
> slow.)

I don't see why somebody runs mgar and he's not the one uploading it;
yes, there is the possibility to have an automatic builder but we don't
have one yet. If there is really no solution around the proxy issue then
consider that the upload-er is the same as the "magar-er".

>> > We can no longer modify the package contents at upload time, and I'm
>> > guessing we want everything to be inside the package.
>>
>> At upload time, the database's attributes are valuated from what's in the
>> package, isn't it?
>
> Yes. However, what we have in the package, is the information about who
> ran 'mgar package'.

And there is no information sent by csw-upload-pkg? Hmm...

>> > The list of maintainers needs to be in one of the pkginfo fields,
>> > that's simple. But I think it should be a list of user names, or a
>> > list of valid (rich) email addresses:
>> >
>> > OPENCSW_MAINTAINERS=joe, jane
>> >
>> > or
>> >
>> > OPENCSW_MAINTAINERS=Joe Doe <joe at example.com>, Jane Dow <jane at example.com>
>>
>> Too complex from my POV but why not.
>
> So you're thinking of associating 1 package with 1 name only?

No. I just considered the second form too complex, i.e., I prefer a
simple user list, without the e-mail address.

--
Peter