[csw-maintainers] Buildfarm setup - documentation

Maciej Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Sat Oct 5 12:44:51 CEST 2013

On Sat, Oct 05, 2013 at 12:32:36PM +0200, Dagobert Michelsen wrote:
> Hi Maciej,
>
> Am 05.10.2013 um 11:37 schrieb Maciej Bliziński <maciej at opencsw.org>:
> > We either should package them well or not package them at all. Packaging
> > them well requires additional time and effort, which we simply don't
> > have. Is running "svn up" really that hard?
>

> It may be in fact a good idea at some point to really release it as package

I'm not against it, but benefits don't outweigh the costs in my opinion.
Of course, if anyone cares enough, feel free to put in the work to
package it, which involves:

- refactoring the code so it can be packaged at all (requires writing
  a setup.py and modifying the code itself)
- writing the build recipe
- testing the package
- writing up the release procedure
- later on, potentially supporting multiple versions of the code
- either making sure that it can work from both sources and the package,
  or modifying GAR so that we're only using it from the installed
  package in the buildfarm
- making sure that it's possible to work on a development version so
  that we can continue improving the code

It's too much work an too little gain.

> to allow easy rebuilding.

Not sure if I understand. Do you mean, easy rebuilding of which code?