[csw-maintainers] Samba 4

slowfranklin slowfranklin at opencsw.org
Tue Sep 3 14:45:21 CEST 2013

Am 03.09.2013 um 13:26 schrieb Laurent Blume <laurent at opencsw.org>:

> On 03/09/13 12:39, slowfranklin wrote:
>> Fast forward 2 years, fast forward 5 years. Versioned packages all
>> over the place. Eg possibly CSWsamba, CSWsamba4, CSWsamba5,
>> CSWsamba6. *blah*
>
> Yes? So what? I'm genuinely puzzled now. How is that a problem? Personal hatred for numbers? :-)

Well, we'll also need versioned libraries like CSWsamba4-libwclient0, CSWsamba4-libsmbclient0.

But other then a vague feeling that versioned names are a blatant workaround for a problem that is arising from abusing a rolling catalog, no, I can't substantiate my concerns.

> If it's just against your personal taste, well, okay, de gustibus et coloribus non disputandum, but it doesn't make it a *bad* technical decision: it avoids problems instead of creating them, So, why not?
>
>> We're *forced* to use verioned package names due to the lack of any
>> usable catalog other then unstable.
>
> Well, since others do just that, package versioning, it must not be so wrong.

Well, since others (Debian, Fedora, ArchLinux) were all going for an inplace upgrade, I considered that the obvious choice for an unstable rolling catalog.

But we now have two votes for using the 4 suffix, so be it. :)

-slow