Consolidation

Stefan Schnyder aironskin at opencsw.org
Tue Apr 15 13:28:46 CEST 2014

Hi guys,

I'd like to share some thoughts about our documentation and information
tools.

It's not hard to see, that "all that OpenCSW has" in regards to any kind
of information for users/maintainers/devs is spread across a wide
variety of tools & places.

Dago & I discussed this at the camp, and as Maciej has mentioned, parts
of this have already been discussed earlier:

  * http://lists.opencsw.org/pipermail/maintainers/2009-March/007260.html
  * http://lists.opencsw.org/pipermail/maintainers/2010-November/013224.html
  * http://lists.opencsw.org/pipermail/maintainers/2013-April/017968.html
  * http://lists.opencsw.org/pipermail/maintainers/2013-September/018607.html

First of all, here's a list of all the tools & places I could find, that
store information or act as a communication platform:
(tell me if I forgot something)

  * www.opencsw.org (Wordpress)
  * www.opencsw.org/manual (Sphinx - Python Documentation Generator)
  * www.opencsw.org/community (OpenSource Q&A)
  * opencsw.wikidot.com (WikiDot)
  * pkgutil.wikidot.com (WikiDot)
  * github.com/opencsw (GitHub with gar, pkg-all, discourse, osqa)
  * opencsw.sourceforge.net (HTML?)
  * sourceforge.net/projects/opencsw (SourceForge Project)
  * sourceforge.net/projects/gar (SourceForge Project)
  * sourceforge.net/apps/trac/gar & sourceforge.net/p/gar/tracwiki/Home
    (Trac, both sites seem to be the same)

Also - just as an overview - we have/use the following:

  * opencsw.org/mantis
  * buildfarm.opencsw.org
  * #opencsw on irc.freenode.net
  * Mail, Mailing Lists, Lists Archive, Webmail?
  * RSS Feeds
  * Flickr
  * YouTube
  * Google+
  * Twitter
  * Google Docs (group & shared files)
  * Facebook
  * Wikipedia
  * LinkedIn (nearly empty)

I'm not listing all of this because I think we should change it all.
Just to raise awareness.

Now my thoughts:

  * I think, that our website doesn't need to contain that much
    information. It needs to get people started & provide access to
    further information and tools (Daniel had some nice ideas there).
  * The current info on the website, the manual, the wiki(s) and all
    info out there should be in one place. Preferably a tool which may
    be edited over a browser, if we want to give all people the ability
    to edit as well.
  * I support the idea of separating information from bugtracking from
    mailing lists from social media, etc. There should be only one place
    for the same kind of thing, but a place for each kind of thing.
  * The rework should be coupled with the new website that Daniel is
    working on.
  * It may be worth a thought if we should separate our "product" (the
    recipes & packages) from our own tools (gar, buildfarm, ...) or
    combine them. I'm talking about info & bugtracking & (...) for each
    or for both in one place. Having only one place would/could reduce
    the maintenance on the tools, but maybe lead to confusion for the users.
  * We should decide what needs to be done first, and what may come later.

I would like to propose, that we decide on a existing or new tool for
storing & presenting information and then gradually start moving stuff
away from the old locations. I would volunteer to do the moving.

What are your thoughts?

Cheers,
Stefan