Your script

dam dam at opencsw.org
Tue Apr 22 13:24:30 CEST 2014

Hi Rafi,

Am 2014-04-22 08:00, schrieb Rafael Ostertag:
> On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 10:43:43PM +0100, Maciej (Matchek) Blizi??ski
> wrote:
>> > I also keep thinking that it
>> > would be nice to have a dedicated place for the changelog per package in an
>> > easy-to-parse format (probably in ReST/Markdown?) which could be displayed
>> > on pkgutil -u (store the previous changelog before removal and diff to the
>> > newly installed one). Also Catalog changediffs could be generated that way.
>>
>> I'm not super familiar with the changelog files, but they seem to have
>> a well defined format, so we should first look if there already are
>> parsers. So it might be fine to keep the regular changelog format, and
>> use a parser whenever we want to process the data. Checking if the
>> changelog syntax is correct can be part of package checking.
>
> There is a parser in cswch (nothing official, I hacked it together),
> which
> tries to be compliant with [1]. So cswch has a pretty good idea of
> changelog.CSW and it should be trivial to convert changelog.CSW into
> any other
> format. Let me know what you need.
>

>> I also had this idea that instead of using VERSION in the Makefile, we
>> could take the latest version from changelog:
>>
>> VERSION = $(call extract_version_from_changelog)
>
> +1
>
> [1]
> http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-source.html#s-dpkgchangelog

I don't think that is a good idea for two reasons:

1. The application version (e.g. 1.2) is tightly coupled to DISTFILE and
    updated only on version bumps.
2. The REV is calculated from the date which is good IMHO

The Changelog should IMHO contain high-level descriptions of changes,
like
"Switch from OpenSSL to GnuTLS" accommodated by a date when the change
was
done. This may not be related to package rebuilds.
What may be a good idea is to retrieve the REV timestamp from the change
log,
but again rebuilding may result in binary-different packages with the
same
revstamp.

One related thing: It would be nice if we could enable the catalog
versions
on the webpage and have a "svn diff" button between REVs to show the
Makefile
diffs as calculated by OpenGrok.