gnutar vs gtar ?

Riccardo Mottola rmottola at opencsw.org
Mon Dec 8 01:06:04 CET 2014

Hi,

Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński wrote:
> It looks like a simple substitution patch for the build files.
>
> If you wanted to do the right thing, you could contact the upstream
> and ask them about it.
I have commit access to upstream myself and have contact to the
developers, so I could to that myself even.
However, when I did a "source" build myself before attempting packages,
this did not happen.

gnustep-gui has no single reference to gnutar, it call apparently comes
down from gnustep-make which checks for available programs during
configure. I think I never had gnutar on the machine. I can't say for
the buidfarm, because gnustep-base package is still not complete.

inside gnustep-make configure.ac I found:

AC_CHECK_PROGS(TAR, gnutar gtar, tar)

this should actually check for gnustar first, gtar then.. and as
fallback use tar, right?

perhaps gnustep-make is configured without the proper environment and
can't find csw's tar ? But that still would fallback to solaris tar, not
use gnutar indeed.

Riccardo

Riccardo