Removing stale packages

Peter FELECAN pfelecan at opencsw.org
Tue Oct 14 19:41:50 CEST 2014

"Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński" <maciej at opencsw.org> writes:

> [...] Maybe instead, we can do something simple, like getting the list
> of packages that can be deleted (already exists in the stale packages
> report), and creating an internet poll, where people could mark
> packages they use / care about. (Note: only packages with no reverse
> dependencies would be listed.) We would circulate the poll around
> users@ and announce@, and after two weeks or so of collecting the
> data, we would drop packages that nobody cares about. All of this is
> easy to do.

It's probably a good strategy although I'm agreeing with Laurent's
opinion(s).

Maybe, before doing that we should consider an internal poll to
decide. The question should be quite simple: "are you for or against
removing from the catalog stale packages, not having reverse
dependencies not candidates for removal, older than Y years?" where Y
should be determined beforehand.

What do you think as good value for Y?

As a last note, the recipe must be preserved for a removed package, thus
somebody can resurrect it if wished.
--
Peter