set ISA depend path in GAR recipe

Laurent Blume laurent at opencsw.org
Thu Apr 30 09:42:45 CEST 2015

Le 2015/04/29 22:17 +0200, Matchek a écrit:
> On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 09:25:11AM +0200, Carsten Grzemba wrote:
>> I set
>>
>> CONFIGURE_ARGS += --with-httpd=/opt/csw/sbin/$(ISA_DEFAULT)/httpd
>
> Can you tell a bit more about the problem you're solving? I know you're
> working on the 64-bit Apache.
>
> Can you use isaexec?

I'm not in favor of using isaexec indiscriminately for server apps. This
is IMO a choice that should be made explicitly by the admin, because
it's not neutral.

I'm speaking from the MySQL viewpoint, where an automatic choice 32/64
bit choice by the OS can effectively break a DB (it's the one area where
the database are not guaranteed to be binary-compatible).
I can see it easily being needed on Apache too, since not all modules
are going to be equally available.

> If you can't or don't use isaexec, why do you want to create directories
> compliant with isaexec?

Because it satisfies the principle of least astonishment in the
organization of binaries :-)

> Can you define your own names for httpd, like /opt/csw/sbin/httpd-32 and
> /opt/csw/bin/httpd-64?

I think the issue is that the HTTPD_ROOT would still be the same for
both, and that's the basis on which the default httpd.conf picks up the
modules/*.so files (which would have to be 32 or 64).

Would there be an environment value that could be used in the httpd.conf
to make an if clause that would load either of 2 blocks, one for 32, one
for 64, or maybe reset the HTTPD_ROOT, like what they do eg for varied
httpd engines?

Laurent