Brokenness caused by libpng update

Riccardo Mottola rmottola at opencsw.org
Thu Apr 30 23:56:25 CEST 2015

Hi,

Laurent Blume wrote:
> FWIW, here's what I see on CentOS7:
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 226 10 juin   2014 libpng15.pc
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  11 11 janv. 20:38 libpng.pc -> libpng15.pc
>
> And the current CSW package:
> lrwxrwxrwx   1 root  root    11 avr  28 09:22 libpng.pc -> libpng16.pc
> -rw-r--r--   1 root  bin    236 avr  21 15:19 libpng16.pc
Gentoo's setup is exactly the same. But gentoo points that old libraries
are kept for binary compatibilities and you are expected to build always
against latest, which looks the only safe to do.
Otheriwse we need what Gentoo calls "slots" that means both versions can
co-exist, but it means hiding stuff in subdirectories and that is really
a mess and causes massive headache: most packages need to be patched
with extra include paths.

Riccardo