gcc receipe and architecture comment

Maciej Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Wed Mar 18 10:29:34 CET 2015

On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 10:06:07AM +0100, Dagobert Michelsen wrote:
> Hi Riccardo,
>
> > Am 18.03.2015 um 08:55 schrieb Riccardo Mottola <rmottola at opencsw.org>:
> >
> > in the gcc receipe, which would be the last version that is supposed to run on solaris 9, I find this:
> >
> > # We're not building GCC-4.7 on Solaris 9, because GCC-4.7 requires the
> > # sparcv8+ architecture.
> > # PACKAGING_PLATFORMS = solaris9-sparc solaris9-i386
> > PACKAGING_PLATFORMS += solaris10-sparc solaris10-i386
> >
> > Why is v8+ a problem? I understand we support UltraSPARC only anyway, be it 32 or 64 bit.
> > I actually think to remember that the last operating system running on the "classic" SPARCs, is Solaris 8.
>
> Nope, the minimum CPU level for Solaris 9 was sparcv8 whereas gcc 4.7 required sparcv8+
> That does not mean you couldn’t just build with sparcv8+ and release for Solaris 9 as
> it would work on any platform past stonehenge.

Right, it was the default setting in GAR for 5.9: to build sparcv8
binaries. There was a time your packages would be rejected if you built
binaries for sparcv8+.  This policy is now gone, and you can build and
release sparcv8+ binaries.

We had a similar rule to build for 386, where 386 didn't stand for just
Intel processors, it actually meant the 386 processor, as opposed to the
newer 486.