OpenSSL 1.0.1m considered harmful on Sparc

Peter FELECAN pfelecan at opencsw.org
Sat May 2 10:00:30 CEST 2015

Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> writes:

> Hi folks,
>
> Am 24.04.2015 um 12:11 schrieb Dagobert Michelsen:
>> Hangs on Solaris 9 in the same way as the package from Yann. So this is really an upstream
>> issue?
>
> I just got this information from Oracle support:
>
>> According to Solaris Development, the issue is expected to appear not
>> only in Branded Sol 9 zones, but also on physical systems running
>> Solaris 9 Solaris Development pointed out that Solaris 10 is working
>> differently in this part - hence, the issue does not appear in
>> Solaris 10 ( and higher )
>>
>> All application calling pthread_atfork() from a fork handler can
>> deadlock on Solaris 9. That's the behavior of Solaris 9, and it won't
>> be changed since Solaris 9 has already been EOL'd.
>>
>> Looks like the new openssl has been built by 3rd party.  Could you
>> please provide info about the origin of the new new openssl ?  If
>> this is 3rd party, did you check already with this vendor ?

We are the third party, isn't it?

What I don't get is all the effort that you people put in an EOL'd
system, not only from the point of view of the original supplier but
also from our point of view.

Lately, there is a lot of effort put by Riccardo and others in
supporting things on Solaris 9 and even on Solaris 8...

Please understand me well, I'm not opposing anything that you people do
in this area, it's your time, your energy, but I only hope to avoid
increasing the entropy of our current endeavours.
--
Peter