Install SMF's in standard locations

Carsten Grzemba grzemba at contac-dt.de
Wed Jan 27 15:55:57 CET 2016

Some questions

1. In Solaris11 is an SMF 'manifest-import' which can triggered if a new SMF is installed. But this SMF covers only the standard locations for SMF /lib/svc/manifest and /var/svc/manifest. I would prefer to use this SMF and install our SMF's also in standard location /var/svc/manifest.

2. Package Repositories: How want we handle our concept of catalogs unstable, testing, ... Want we cover this with different repositories/publishers?

3. Package naming: Our SVR4 packages use a "flat" namespace. IPS use a hirachical one but this is only cosmetics. There are aome lists of the relation of SVR4 and IPS names for some application like this:
https://github.com/MrStaticVoid/spec-files-extra/blob/master/experimental/packagenames.sort_newnames.ts
Should we keep the flat namespace and prefix with opencsw or also establish such hierachic?

4. Packages for x86 and Sparc: IPS can deliver both architectures in one package. Has anyone some experience in building dual-arch IPS packages. Have we made the mgar platform target mandatory for that?

Any thoughts

Carsten