Remove old library

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Wed Dec 29 22:01:51 CET 2021

Hi,

Am 29.12.2021 um 21:13 schrieb Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński via maintainers <maintainers at lists.opencsw.org>:
> Setting a conflict sounds like a harsh way to do it. Maybe a softer approach would suffice? We had a way of obsoleting packages, didn't we?
>
> http://wiki.opencsw.org/obsoleting-packages
> https://www.opencsw.org/2012/05/pkgutil-cleanup/
>
> –Maciej
>
> İhsan Doğan via maintainers <maintainers at lists.opencsw.org> escreveu no dia quarta, 29/12/2021 à(s) 20:08:
> Hello,
>
> I’ve updated today unbound to the most recent version and this version comes also with a new version of libunbound. The new version in the catalog is now libunbound8, but libunbound2 also in the catalog.
>
> How do I get rid of the old version? I guess the easiest is to set a conflict to libunbound2, right?

The normal solution is just to declare a dependency on the new libunbound8
and if users already have libunbound2 it just stays on the machine. We don’t
have information why that package installed in the first place (in general)
and cannot be sure if it is safe to remove - maybe the user has other
(e.g. self-compiled) stuff linked against it.

Best regards

  — Dago