[newpkgs] New PostgreSQL packages

Mark Round mark at markround.com
Thu Mar 11 18:16:10 MET 2004

Hi All,

I've just updated the postgresql and libpq packages to 7.3.6, and there
are a few changes that you'll need to be aware of if you're using the
Sparc packages.

Basically, I've added 64-bit versions of the binaries and libraries,
although the 32-bit server will get run by default. If you're just
upgrading, you shouldn't notice any difference - everything should still
continue to run as it has before. The only issue is if you decide you
want to run the 64-bit version of the server.

The following is from the readme file at
/opt/csw/share/doc/postgresql/README-CSW.txt :

"The SPARC packages have been built with 64-bit support, but by default, the
32-bit version of the server will be run. If you need the 64-bit version,
edit the /etc/init.d/cswpostgres script, and follow the instructions at the
top.

It is important to note that the 64-bit server WILL NOT WORK with databases
created with the 32-bit version, and vice versa. You will get an error
message if you attempt this.

In order to migrate your system to the 64-bit server, you will need to dump
your databases while running the 32-bit client, stop and upgrade the server,
initialise a new database directory, and import your dumps. For more
information
on this procedure, see the PostgreSQL manual (included with this package),
chapter 9 - Backup and restore. This is located at :

/opt/csw/share/doc/postgresql/html/backup.html

All other PostgreSQL binaries in /opt/csw/bin/ are copies of the 'isaexec'
wrapper, which will run the appropriate binary for your architecture and/or
kernel."

Any problems, comments, etc. just let me know :)

Ta,

-Mark
mark at blastwave.org