[csw-newpkgs] Announcing Quake2!

Jake Goerzen jgoerzen at goldenfarms.com
Tue Oct 12 21:06:44 MEST 2004

This is the id Software game Quake2 for Solaris! This package was build
from the source code at http://www.icculus.org/quake2/ Many thanks goes to
my friend Vincent Cojot for doing the hard work!

To run the game you can simply type:

quake2

This will start the game in a small window using the software X11
renderer.  There are several different renderers available includeing
SDL, XIL and OpenGL.  Quake2 saves its settings in $HOME/.quake2.

You can start the game with different renderers like this:

quake2 +set vid_ref [softx|softsdl|xil|glx]

There are many different command line parameters. If you want to set the
video size you can append +set vid_mode 0-12 (if you are using the glx
renderer then you would use +set gl_mode 0-12 instead).

If you have the full game on CD then you can copy the pak0.pak file to
your $HOME/.quake2/baseq2/pak0.pak to play the full game (you will need to
install the game on a dos machine to extract the pak0.pak file from the
CD).

A quake2 dedicated server binary is included as well.

Extra: I have tested the game with Sun's OpenGL & XiG's OpenGL and it
works. I simply add +set gl_driver /usr/openwin/lib/libGL.so.1 to the
list, eg:

quake2 +set vid_ref glx +set gl_mode 3 +set gl_driver
/usr/openwin/lib/libGL.so.1