[csw-pkgsubmissions] newpkgs ncsa_mosaic

Philip Brown phil at opencsw.org
Mon Apr 5 21:36:49 CEST 2010

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 2:48 AM, Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski
<maciej at opencsw.org> wrote:
> 2010/3/30 Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com>:

>> I would presume it cant even properly render 50% of the websites out
>> there, at this point
>
> It won't be this kind of justification.  Mosaic is of historical
> value.  If we added, say, an Atari ST emulator, it would be the same
> reason.

no, not at all the same.

An atari ST emulator, actually has a specific function, that has not
been supplanted.
If you wish to be nostalgic and play old ST games, then odds are you
need an emulator of some kind.

No emulator, no ability to play the games. So it actually adds value,
to have an atari emulator (or, MAME type progs) in our packages.

In contrast, if you dont have ncsa mosaic 1.0... you do *not* lose the
ability to view [html 1.0 or whatever] sites. There are plenty of
other browsers around to view them.

Our repository is not a museum. The only reason we keep v1 packages
around after v2 is out, is if they have unique functional value.  Once
they no longer do, we drop them in favour of the v2 package.