[csw-pkgsubmissions] newpkgs ap2_subversion, javasvn, pm_subversio(...)

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Tue Dec 7 18:08:56 CET 2010

On 12/6/10, rupert THURNER <rupert at opencsw.org> wrote:
> oh, you mean the file _in_ doc, an example script, contains this path in the
> text? or a file called "commit-block-joke" in contrib? i guess this is one
> of the rare cases where we completely disagree :)

the "joke" one sounds trivial and ignorable. but the other one does not.

There are multiple complicating factors here. One of which is, the
"upstream" people (or was it your choice?) inappropriately decided to
bundle "contrib" scripts, under "doc", when it doesnt sound like they
are really "documentation" at all.
And you acknowlege they are not documentation, by *you yourself*
splitting out the files into their own subversion_contrib package,
rather than a "doc" package.

There's an old English saying, that you are "hoist by your own petard" :-)
You yourself have designated the contents as "not doc", otherwise, it
should be subversion_doc

> any change to upstream is code on our side, needs to be maintained, can be
> the source of an error, and might block an upgrade to a new version, which
> makes our offer look less good than it is or causes real trouble (i do not
> mention the broken ldaps authentication again ..). commit-block-joke is not
> worth this, at least imo.

Yes, this means you would need to generate a local "patch". It's
really not that difficult.

The GAR patching mechanisms are almost automatic, if you leave the git
stuff enabled.
You basically just edit the file, ONE time, then run (some gar magic
"make patch" command). It does the work of creating a patchfile for
you.
svn commit and package

and then future versions will automatically be patched by gar.