[csw-pkgsubmissions] /newpkgs (current) dnstop, pcp

Sebastian Kayser skayser at opencsw.org
Wed Feb 17 22:11:11 CET 2010

Peter Bonivart wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 8:30 PM, Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> wrote:
>>> pcp-1.09,REV=2010.02.17-SunOS5.8-all-CSW.pkg.gz
>>> - new
>>
>> I'm not sure this is the best naming choice, though.
>>
>> "pcp" is a sadly generic short name, that is used by quite a few other
>> things.
>
> It's what it's called on http://www.unix.ms/pcp/, apparently it's
> short for PID con Port so how about CSWpcp for package and pidconport
> for catalog?

I hope it's okay to jump in here. Please, please, noooooooooooo. In my
experience those disparate pkg and catalog names are a common cause of
confusion for most people, in particular newcomers. If we want to avoid
PCP because of name clashes, how about pidconport/CSWpidconport (and PCP
in the description string)? I realize, that it then doesn't have pcp in
either string any more (and thus can't be found with -a), but those
different pkg / catalog names are such a pain.

However you decide, thanks for packaging it, Peter.

Sebastian