[csw-pkgsubmissions] /newpkgs (current) dnstop, pcp

Philip Brown phil at opencsw.org
Fri Feb 19 01:20:26 CET 2010

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 3:05 PM, Peter Bonivart <bonivart at opencsw.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 11:47 PM, Philip Brown <phil at opencsw.org> wrote:
>> I agree, users of THAT pcp, will look for pcp first, but then others
>> of OTHER "pcp" programs will also look for that, and get confused.
>
> What are those other pcp programs? Solaris doesn't have anything and
> we don't package anything. I only found Performance Co-Pilot which can
> be shortened to PCP. It's an SGI product mainly for Linux. Apparently
> it can be built for Solaris. Is that what you're thinking of?

yes. (pcp, on both debian and ubuntu). and I think there was one other
hit for "pcp package", but unfortunately, I dont recall what it was
about.

> Since this is Solaris specific that was pretty easy - no one else (BW,
> SFE, SFW) has it. So nothing to compare with. Except that the author
> himself calls it pcp.

seems like that is good news, and bad news.
most of what we do, is provide "general packages, that solaris lacks".
That is to say, the majority of people using our packages, use them to
get stuff on solaris, that they are already used to having elsewhere.

So seems to me, that the majority of people looking for "pcp", would
be expecting the more general interpretation, not the solaris specific
"php"