[csw-pkgsubmissions] newpkgs py_lxml

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Mon Mar 1 23:26:47 CET 2010

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 1:16 PM, Sebastian Kayser <skayser at opencsw.org> wrote:
> Philip Brown wrote on 01.03.2010 21:33:
>> How about this:
>>

>> NAME=py_lxml - libxml2 binding with cleaner python syntax than py_libxml2
>
> I see your point in helping the user to sort out what exactly py_lxml
> might be for when there is already py_libxml2.
>
> The problem I am having with this wording is that it puts a comparative,
> negative verdict upon py_libxml2. I would rather have the user make his
> own judgments.
>
> Can you think of something concise that creates a relationship to
> py_libxml2 without depreciating it at the same time?

are you objecting to the adjective "cleaner"?

there are word games we can play, but at the end of the day, lets look
at the result we are aiming for:

This package exists because it is "closer to standard python syntax"
than py_libxml2.

That is why YOU use it. And you use it because in your view, it is
"better than" py_libxml2.
So anything we put in, is going to have some sort of "negative"
reflection of py_libxml2. Because after all, anything we put in that
accurately describes it, is going to imply py_libxml2 is inferior.
Which it is. Otherwise, you wouldnt have bothered packaging py_lxml :-)

If the user does not share your value judgements about "being close to
python syntax is better", then they wont see it as a negative, so you
neednt worry about it.

change "cleaner" to "standard" if you like, perhaps?