[csw-pkgsubmissions] newpkgs py_lxml

Philip Brown phil at opencsw.org
Fri Mar 5 02:30:28 CET 2010

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 3:58 PM, Sebastian Kayser <skayser at opencsw.org> wrote:

> Here is a nice example regarding the relevance of descriptions: a list
> of descriptions for the text browser packages that we ship. It's _the
> very first time_ that I even looked at them [1,2,3,4].
>
>  w3m    - Text-based web browser
>  links  - Textbased browser with frames, ssl, and menus
>  elinks - An advanced text mode web browser
>  lynx   - text browser for the World Wide Web
>
> To follow your argument here, we would have to say: "why do we e.g. ship
> lynx?" It's not obvious from its description. How useless. And btw., you
> just recently released an updated version of lynx with exactly this
> description (not that I would care at all and I do apologize upfront to
> the affected maintainers in case you should decide to pursue explanatory
> descriptions for text browsers).

Similar to the other examples previously given on this thread;
the above mentioned browsers are semi-large, complicated packages, and
it would not be easy to describe all the differences between them
briefly, let alone in a single short line.
That being said; I can give you a direct answer on the particular
question you raised here:
I personally have used ALL of the above browsers, and all of them have
different features unique to them, that justify including them all.
Here's a summary, from my own observations and recollections:

"lynx" sucks, but its the standard, so we include it :)
The others all have different ways of rendering, and navigation across a page.
When you're forced, for various reasons, to browse websites in text
mode, some browse better in w3m, others browse better in links.
And elinks has the best foreign language support, if I recall correctly.

> P.S.: I came up with a re-written description now, which looks good to
> me.

Thank you very much. :)

For future reference - you mentioned your reluctance about rewording
this, due to your being a non-native speaker of English. if you ever
feel stuck for the "best possible" way to word anything, I would
suggest asking on the maintainers list for suggestions?
Even "native speakers" still ask for suggestions on that sort of thing :)