[csw-pkgsubmissions] newpkgs libxpm, libxpm_devel, xpm

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Tue May 25 18:44:19 CEST 2010

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 12:36 AM, Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:
> Hi Phil,
>
> Am 21.05.2010 um 22:56 schrieb Philip Brown:
>
>> Sigh. this is turning out to be a much more complex target than I
>> originally advertised to you, Maciej, for which I apologise.
>
> Please add the knowledge to the x11-reloaded wiki accordingly. I am already
> lost on this issue...

well, its actually not quite so horrendous to build any more.. my
update of sunx11_devel took care of that I think :)

The only outstanding issues are all pieces of the same issue:
1. it doesnt make sense to link libXpm.so against libintl or libgettext
2. however, the utilities with it, cxpm and sxpm, do, optionally, use gettext()
3. the autoconfig stuff is somewhat broken in its autodetect of
"should I use -lgettext -lintl"

The quick-n-easy hack of  LIBS=-lintl ./configure    isnt quite
appropriate, given issue #1.
So, the other quick-n-easy hack, is to simply disable use of gettext.
The cxpm and sxpm utils are trivial little things that dont have an
extreme need for gettext. The errors are all simple, to do with bad
(memory/file/color), and they dont even come with gettext locale
alternatives. the user would have to make them, themselves. So.. not
really worth it!

The only real irritation, is that their configure script does not
support a clean  --disable or --without, for the gettext option. But
it can still be done relatively easily, via patching config.h, or
possibly other aclocal hacks I'm not familiar with.

A secondary irritation, is that they use a non-standard method for
defining the results in config.status for this, so providing a clean
upstream patch for config* may be challenging.
But as I said, the "easy" way out is to just patch config.h after
running configure, to not use GETTEXT, and its all good. a one-step
fix

Feel free to cut-n-paste this into the wiki, if you reaaally think it
is beneficial. However, I just did a test build with the "patch
config.h", and it went very smoothly.

So, its just a matter of who is going to reroll the xpm library?
I think it benefits us all if it gets done sooner rather than later.
So if no-one does it in a day or so, I'm going to hack together a
by-hand release myself to keep the x11-reloaded project moving.