[csw-pkgsubmissions] newpkgs idle, libpython2_5_1_0, libpython2_6_(...)

Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski maciej at opencsw.org
Tue Oct 12 20:46:05 CEST 2010

No dia 12 de Outubro de 2010 19:22, Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> escreveu:
> On 10/12/10, Maciej Blizinski <maciej at opencsw.org> wrote:
>> Two new packages with Python libraries.  The package name is is based on the
>> sonames: "libpython2.5.so.1.0" and "libpython2.5.so.1.0".
>> CSWlibpython2-5-1-0
>> isn't going to win package name beauty contests, but it is justified by the
>> soname and unique.
>>
>> This is probably the first and the last release of libpython2_5_1_0.
>>

> Sooo.. why do we NEED this, for python?
>
> My understanding is that nothing benefits from depending on
> libpython.so.anything directly.
> Things have to pull in the entire (or almost entire) package, or
> python doesnt work.
>
> So if there is no "python251" any more, why do we need a "libpython251" ?

You mean, the shared libraries?  The same reason as with all other
shared libraries: there are binaries linking to them, and removing
shared objects would break these binaries.  I don't know exactly what
kind of functionality they provide to other binaries, perhaps with
Python 2.5 not installed any more, the Python-related functionality
wouldn't work.  Or maybe it's some kind of API that allows to process
.py files, so the functionality would still work.  But it doesn't
matter that much; in either case the shared library is required for
other binaries to do runtime linking.

The list of dependent packages is here:
http://www.opencsw.org/packagesContainingFile/?fileName=libpython2.5.so.1.0