[csw-pkgsubmissions] newpkgs pm_podsimple

Peter Bonivart bonivart at opencsw.org
Wed Sep 8 21:01:18 CEST 2010

On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 8:38 PM, Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> wrote:
> This... seems a bit disturbing to me. I'd like to know more about this please.
> Isnt the purpose of the "perldoc" package, to include only the stuff
> that comes with core perl?
>
> Or does it have a wider reach than that?
>
> If it is "supposed" to also include stuff for other optional modules,
> such as podsimple, then what other modules does it document?
> And how are we going to manage differing versions of the documentation properly?
> How are we going to be consistent?
> "CSWperldoc is always the authoritive: remove other conflicts with it"?
> Or is it going to be case-by-case?  :-(

CSWperldoc contains documentation for CSWperl, it's from the same
build. It's just a split off package.

The "problem" is that core perl (CSWperl) contains a lot of modules
that are outdated so we still need separate packages to provide fresh
versions. They install in another "path" (INC in the Perl world) so
it's not a problem but the man pages still install in our standard
path and collide.

When you install a module package that is included in core Perl it's
because you need that later version. To not get the later man page is
probably not very important since it's available in other forms.
However, to install CSWperldoc and NOT get man pages at all for
modules that are available in CSWperl would be weird so I chose to
remove the man pages from the module package instead of from
CSWperldoc. I think that will disturb the user the least.

--
/peter