[csw-pkgsubmissions] newpkgs dialog

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Wed Feb 9 03:00:28 CET 2011

Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Mon Feb 07 20:41:23 -0500 2011:

> This is a bit silly.

Yes, I agree that a non-ncurses version of dialog is silly.

> If its all in one, then Peter can submit both packages generated when
> he does a 'make'.

He has no interest in this.  More below...

> It makes no sense for both of us to be building the thing
> separately, yet redundantly.

Ok, so run gmake package-CSWdialog-minimal and don't generate the
ncurses version.

My support for an alternatives based solution to this rests on 2
things:

1. That doing so causes no extra work for Peter or any other
   maintainer that thinks this version of the package isn't
   worthwhile.
2. That providing the minimal version does not pollute the build tree
   with redundant directories or build processes.  [This is for
   dialog, I'm not forcing the issue on other packages here.]

I understand that you don't care for GAR (more below...) so I did the
work to shield you from using it.  You indicated:

If Peter does not want to submit the autogenerated "minimal" package
that you imply is built by a simple "make", then I will build one in a
separate area.

To which I say: And why won't you submit the package that is built by
a simple make?  You're going to add either a separate directory in the
tree for the same source package or an alternate Makefile of some
sort.  This is unacceptable in either case, imo.

You even intimated (off list) that you might just use GAR for this
since it already 'just works.'  That makes your avoidance of this
silver platter version even worse.

I fully withdraw my support for providing the non-ncurses version of
dialog unless both 1 and 2 above are met.  In this event, I'd simply
roll back the changes I added to this build recipe as I, personally,
see no value in offering a crippled version of dialog.

Thanks
-Ben
--
Ben Walton