[csw-pkgsubmissions] newpkgs php5, php5_devel

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Tue Feb 22 18:11:12 CET 2011

On 2/20/11, Ben Walton <bwalton at opencsw.org> wrote:

> Thanks for cranking out this update!  Unfortunately, it can't go out
> th edoor as is.  There are all sorts of legacy php5_foo packages that
> are now rolled in to this one but these don't declare themselves
> Incompatible with the old ones.
>
> I see the notes about the build issues wrt the old extensions.  I'll
> take a look at this and see what I can do...It would be nicer to keep
> the older structure, I think.  This is primarily because the module
> structure changed with the last release as well, not because I prefer
> one or the other.

I think the split_up structure is much nicer.
There are a gazillion separate php modules, which pull in a whole
bunch of dependencies, most of which many people will never use.
Not only is this annoying at install time, this also affects upgrade time.
(ie: people will get prompted for upgrades on things, that they dont
really care about. It wastes their time)

A certain other place, also splits it up, probably for similar reasons. See

http://packages.debian.org/search?suite=squeeze&keywords=php5