[csw-pkgsubmissions] newpkgs puppet, puppetmaster

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Mon Mar 14 05:32:25 CET 2011

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 1:41 PM, Mark Phillips <markp at opencsw.org> wrote:
> I've had to do some oddities to make this work to CSW path standards. Puppet
> enforces /var/lib/puppet and /etc/puppet as real paths, and not symlinks. This
> means if we symlink to /etc/opt/csw/puppet and /var/opt/csw/puppet they'll
> simply get trounced on as soon as the daemon(s) run up. It also completely
> ignores our attempts to put our paths in as defaults. To this end, I've HAD
> to create /etc/puppet - but in it contains an example puppet.conf designed to
> make the daemon run in CSW paths. Also present in that directory is a
> README.CSW pointing out how to use CSW paths.

Hmm.. I got confused the first few times I read your email.
But what I *think* you are saying, is that you were forced to create
one somewhat non-standard path, /etc/puppet.. but other than that,
your default puppet configurations, make it follow our standard
layouts.
And you have put documentation in /etc/puppet to explain to people
coming from other systems, what the differences are.

Basically, that your "new" package, mostly follows the pre-existing
layout of our older puppet package.
Great!

Additionally, I have to say that a nice change you have made is to
split out the "puppetmaster" into a separate package.

(Although perhaps more of the stuff belongs in the "puppetmaster"
package and less in the "puppet" package?
 Your layout follows the debian style layout, but from my limited
understanding of puppet, I thought that most of the fancy modules,
etc. were only read by puppetmaster, and it synthesises a single,
customized "Now Do This!" set of instructions which the puppetd reads
from it. So that doesnt need all the other stuff?
 But okay, releasing as-is)