[csw-pkgsubmissions] newpkgs librrd4, librrd_th4, pm_rrdtool, py_r(...)

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Sun Mar 20 23:05:10 CET 2011

On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 12:32 PM, Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:
> Hi Phil,
>
> Am 18.03.2011 um 19:08 schrieb Philip Brown:
>> On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 8:40 AM, Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:
>

>>>  + rrd-1.4.5,REV=2011.03.16-SunOS5.9-all-CSW.pkg.gz
>>
>> This would seem to be a transition package, for rrdtool/CSWrrd ->rrd/CSWrrd
>>
>> As done with prior perl package recently... would you please rename
>> this to have catalog name of "rrd_stub"?
>
> As I understood it that was a special case for Perl modules where the old
>  pm_foo/CSWpmfoo
> was renamed to
>  pm_foo/CSWpm-foo
> and the old and new catalog names clashed, so the old one needed to be renamed.
> This is not the case here as the existing catalog name stays valid and the
> package name for the stub is adjusted to fit the old catalog name.

Err.. but its not staying valid.
The description of your "rrd/CSWrrdtool" package quite clearly says
that it is a "transitional package".
As such, it should be removed when nothing depends on it, right?
This seems to be a good reason to have its catalog name be called "rrd_stub" ?
Particularly since there is no catalog entry named "rrd" at the moment.
We dont want people doing "pkg-get install rrd" deliberately.
Naming it rrd_stub, avoids that, I think
(or if you prefer, rrd_transitional. I dont care in that reguard)

Hmm?