[csw-pkgsubmissions] newpkgs bacula, bacula_client, bacula_client_(...)

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Fri May 13 22:08:31 CEST 2011

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 11:34 AM, Ben Walton <bwalton at opencsw.org> wrote:
> Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Thu May 12 16:36:11 -0400 2011:
>
>> old:
>> bacula_client   == bconsole, gconsole, bacula-fd, and assorted bacular tools
>> bacula_gnome == bgnome-console, bregex, bwild
>>
>> new:
>> bacula_client (stub)   == (rename, plus pulls in bacula-fd)??
>> bacula_gnome(stub) == (pulls in bacula_client), does nothing else, I think
>>
>> Why have a stub for bacula_gnome at all?
>> You describe it as " Obsolete bacula gnome console "
>> Why not just remove from catalog?
>
> A fair critique, but I prefer the obsoletes mechanism to the I dep
> mechanism.

Errr.. I didnt suggest "I dep". I suggested just removing it from the catalog.

the way you are doing it... if they do an upgrade, it will remove
something that they are potentially using. with no replacement.
I dont think thats good for users.

>> as far as bacula_client_stub.. .seems like it needs to also pull in
>> bacula_console, to consistently upgrade/replace the older instance of
>> the bacula_client package?
>
> I agree with what you're saying, but I want these things split
> entirely and am only leaving client package as a convenience.

yes. and once again, I was not disagreeing with your split.
I'm saying that your handling of the stub, does not leave something
that is "convenient" to the user.
Please reread what I wrote.

> If I reversed what was included now vs then, I'd agree...people
> wouldn't be happy.  As it stands, they'll find bconsole missing and
> then look for the new tool and pull it in.  (Or more commonly, I
> expect they won't miss it since it was only there to get bacula-fd.)

errr... .the *whole point* of stubs, is that people dont have to "go
look for what is missing". the stubs are supposed to pull in
everything they had before.
Then its up to the user to decide, "Hey, things are more granular
now.. I now have the *option* of removing stuff I dont want, if I no
longer want it".

It should be up to the USER, not you, to decide whether or not to
remove something they previously had installed.