[csw-pkgsubmissions] newpkgs bacula, bacula_client, bacula_client_(...)

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Sun May 15 18:07:56 CEST 2011

Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Sat May 14 10:19:00 -0400 2011:

> There is a difference between "is not compiled any more" and "does not
> work any more"
> Does it "not work" any more?

I've inquired on the bacula user list for completeness and am waiting
to hear back.

> I'm guessing that it does, but it is just "obsolete". After all, its
> just a front end wrapper.

I'm guessing that it is either broken due to protocol changes or
doesn't offer enough functionality with new bacula to be worthwhile.

> There is also something I didnt think of previously: things renamed as
> "_stub", get removed by pkg_util, I believe you said.

pkgutil will offer a --cleanup (or some such) option to scour the
system for packages that have the 'i obsolete' marker.  It'll be a
manual action.

> I know its not your favourite thing to do, but how about this:
> extract just the actual "bacula-gnome" stuff, from the old package
> that does not conflict, and make a new, binary-only package for
> "bacula-gnome". By all means still keep the "Obsolete (not supported
> any more)" in the description.  Then you can forget about it for
> future upgrades?

I'm not going to expend effort to support something that upstream
deems obsolete.  Any update of this legacy package would also need
modification to handle config migration, etc.  If _you_ have spare
time to throw away on something like this, please do so.  I'll revise
my package set to accommodate your bacula_gnome work when it's ready.

> Please keep in mind that this isnt about "us", it's about our users.

If users want to continue running obsolete software, they can avoid
updating the whole bacula stack.

Thanks
-Ben
--