[csw-pkgsubmissions] newpkgs git, git_completion, git_cvs, git_dev(...)

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Sun May 15 21:57:17 CEST 2011

On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 9:02 AM, Ben Walton <bwalton at opencsw.org> wrote:
> Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Fri May 06 01:15:35 -0400 2011:
>
>> you and dagobert have been now churning out a pile of these misnamed
>> stubs (okay, mostly Dagobert :).
>
>> I let a few go by, as a good will gesture, along with a warning,
>> "hey, this needs to be fixed for next set of packages".  they havent
>> been fixed for next set.  so I'm not going to accept them misnamed
>> any more.
>
> This is not a QA issue, it is simply a "my tool doesn't handle this
> case nicely issue."[1] You are blocking things based on non-policy
> issues.

This is not about the tool. this is a policy issue, in that we
disagree on what policy should be.
You dont think it should be a policy, I think it should be.

So, since we dont seem to be headed towards an agreement on this,
please start a policy vote on it.

>  There is no policy indicating that stub packages must have
> catalog name matching the old one with _stub appended.

technically speaking, there is no policy on naming of stub packages at all.
This is an oversight that needs to be fixed.

> As these packages pass all checkpkg tests, I don't see why they're not
> released...?

checkpkg is not the full embodiment and sum total of policy. It is
only a limited verification of certain portions of policy.