[csw-pkgsubmissions] newpkgs bacula, bacula_client, bacula_client_(...)

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Mon May 16 03:45:45 CEST 2011

Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Sun May 15 15:52:45 -0400 2011:

> Tell me Ben... what would you have done, if we were already in
> "automated release to unstable", and someone filed a bug about this?
> closed it with status "wonfix", so it migrates into current anyway?

Yes.  It's not a bug.  The software has changed and I'm updating the
package to the modern form.  If the current version supported the
gnome console and I dropped it, you'd have a point.

Again, if _you'd_ like to spend time unrolling a legacy package to
make it available, I'll bend the recipe for the modern stuff so it
fits.  You can put your name on it and handle the bugs that get filed
against it.  Other than that, providing some air of support a legacy
tool that is unsupported by upstream is pointless... Since you like
pointing at other distros, show me one that ships modern bacula _and_
the gnome console.  Software evolves.

> What about if, as is more likely, no-one noticed it for 2 weeks, and
> it made it into current directly... then someone filed a bug, "Hey,
> I'm using 'current', not 'unstable', but you guys just auto-removed
> a package I'm using? What's up with that???"

Well, both current and unstable are moving targets.  Versions can and
do change.  If we were talking about stable, that would be different.

> That is of course, presuming that they even COULD file a
> bug. because once bacula_gnome is removed from the catalog, usual
> practice is to disable the corresponding mantis areas also.

Our users can't figure out how to file a bug?

Thanks
-Ben
--
Ben Walton