[csw-pkgsubmissions] newpkgs bar

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Tue May 17 15:52:04 CEST 2011

On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 2:18 AM, Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:
> Hi Phil,

*wave*

> Am 04.05.2011 um 19:19 schrieb Philip Brown:
>> On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 4:01 AM, Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:
>> I have taken the extra time and hassle, to look at the file myself.
>> Its contents are trivial. purely cosmetic.
>
> Yes. That's what bar does. Cosmetic stuff on a pipe.

ah, thanks for pointing that out. I was thinking of a different "bar";
the archive format.

>> example:
>>
>> # twiddle-background: normal
>> # twiddle-bold: no
>>
>> I would like to ask you revert to the prior maintainer's wisdom,
>
> That was not wisdom, the previous package was broken and I deliberately
> crafted that file.

okay, given that I now understand I was looking at the package in an
incorrect context, I will attempt to reset myself, and consider things
from a fresh view.

Are you saying that the program does not work, without that file present?
If that is the case, that changes things, and I would certainly let
the package through.

but unfortunatley, I have just noticed, that it does not seem to be in
newpkgs any more somehow? THhis is surprising; i do not think that i
removed it.

>> Clutter in /etc is a bug, not a feature.
>
> This is again a non-policy issue. Please release the package.

It is more accurate to say that there is *currently* no written policy on this.

That is because the maintainers have never DISCUSSED the issue.
That does not make it a NON issue.

Since you dont agree with what I thought would be an obvious premise,
I'll bring it up for discussion on the list.