[csw-users] GNOME login hang

Mark Round mark at markround.com
Thu Apr 22 10:47:35 CEST 2004

Hi all,

Having a bit of trouble with the GNOME packages - I've installed the
"gnome" meta-package, and everything appears to be set up, and I have
the Gnome (CSW) entry in my dtlogin sessions menu. If I choose this
option, I get the GNOME splash-screen, then nothing else happens - even
if I leave the system running for 1/2 an hour or so. No "progress" icons
at the bottom indicating window manager starting etc... But it is still
a very nice splash screen :)

If I login under a failsafe session, and run "gnome-session" from the
terminal, I can see the session manager starting, the slpash screen
appears, but that's it - I get no further lines of output.

I'm running Solaris 8/x86, 2/02 release, no Sun GNOME packages
installed, on an Acer travelmate 351 laptop with XFree86 driver kit,
256Mb RAM.

Anyone seen this before ? I seem to recall Sun GNOME hanging on login at
one point on another machine and a thread on comp.unix.solaris, but
can't seem to find it again. Anyone seen this before, or have any ideas ?

Thanks,

-Mark