[csw-users] KDE not working

Darin Perusich Darin.Perusich at cognigencorp.com
Thu Aug 18 13:18:54 CEST 2005

this is likely a permissions problem in /tmp/.ICE-unix. this directory
is created by the initial user who logs into kde and only that user or
root can login. here's my init script i use to take care of this, it
should run before dtlogin starts, i use /etc/rc2.d/S98kde-enable.

/etc/init.d/kde-enable:

--START--
#!/bin/sh
#
# This script makes sure the /tmp/.ICE-unix directory has proper permissions
# otherwhise only the first person on a machine will be able to start kde.
#
# create /tmp/.ICE-unix with 1777 for KDE

PATH=/usr/bin
export PATH

case "$1" in
'start')
       [ -d /tmp/.ICE-unix ] && rm -rf /tmp/.ICE-unix
       [ -f /tmp/.ICE-unix ] && rm  /tmp/.ICE-unix
       mkdir -m 1777 /tmp/.ICE-unix
       ;;
'stop')
       ;;