[csw-users] RT package now available from Blastwave.org

Alex Moore asmoore at blastwave.org
Mon Dec 19 18:34:06 CET 2005

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 08:37:57 -0800
Cory Omand <comand at blastwave.org> wrote:

> Do you think it would be possible to migrate the blastwave mantis
> data to the schema used by RT?  I like RT, and would like to see it
> used at blastwave.  Mantis has too many limitations -- no ability to
> attach files, no ability to do a lot of common things like
> automatically assign bugs when they are raised to a queue, etc.
> Thoughts?

I think that Mantis is a different product from RT.  A few months ago,
I setup the latest Mantis 1.0 release candidate on my site.

It looked to me like Mantis was designed to work at the program level.
RT works with tickets and tickets can be created for anything.  RT was
what I ended up using for customer support, but I do not track tickets
at the program level.  Tickets can be created for programs and are
created by the customer. Tickets are created for all sorts of things,
like questions, enhancement requests that may not even relate to an
existing program and several other things as well.

I agree with Derek.  When Mantis 1.0 is out of release candidate mode,
a conversion would seem the best thing to do.

Where I have found RT to be a valuable tool for blastwave work is with
supporting blastwave.  I get emails, like everyone else.  It is
difficult for me to keep up with so many emails and remember where the
conversation left off.  If the email is about something that cannot be
handled with a simple reply, I create a ticket in RT.  Also, I have
several packages, so when a new release is announced, I create a ticket
in RT.  And when I determine a change to a package is needed for some
reason, I create a ticket.  Then, I work from RT and prioritize my time
spent on blastwave.  I try to keep no more than 10 tickets open and
working at any time, but that is just me and I am not always successful
with that goal:>

So, all of that said, if I can do anything for the maintainer group,
let me know.  If you think that RT would help you, I can setup a site
for us.  It is up to the group.

Also, I have spent only about six months with RT.  So if you know how
to make RT more program concentric, I am all for it.  I really get
tangled up with our version of Mantis.  The release candidate that I
played around with was much better.

One thing that could help me now is to allow my link for email to be
to a different address from my blastwave email account.  That way, I
can point the address to something like rt-asmoore at somewhere and have
the email create a ticket in RT and I can work from that.  But
currently, my domain is private, so I would have to rethink some
things:>

Alex