[csw-users] GNOME 2.8.1/Solaris Works for Root but Not Other Users

Robert S. Linzell linzell at neptunesci.com
Mon Jan 10 21:42:25 CET 2005

Never mind; I found the problem: I had an incompatible LD_LIBRARY_PATH env.
variable set.  After I removed the line from my .rc file, GNOME 2.8.1 worked
as advertised.

Thanks anyway,
Bob

Robert S. Linzell wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I just installed GNOME 2.8.1 for Solaris on a Sun Blade 100 running
> Solaris 9.
> When logging in as root, GNOME 2.8.1 comes up.  When logging in under my
> regular
> username, the login screen goes black for a few seconds, then it
> flickers and
> the normal DT hourglass appears and the dtlogin screen reappears.  I
> used the
> 'pkg-get install gnome' command per the Blastwave web page.
>
> I ran /usr/bin/gnome-cleanup, and removed the directories it found.  I
> removed
> .dt and several older directories of that nature, but to no avail.  I
> even tried
> to copy the various .gnome* directories from / that appeared to have been
> generated for root, but to no avail.  GNOME 2.0 still works correctly,
> FWIW.
>
> TIA for any assistance you can provide.
> Bob

| Robert S. Linzell                                         |
| Planning Systems, Inc.          Phone: 985-649-7252, x221 |
| Neptune Sciences Division               FAX: 985-649-9679 |
| 40201 Hwy. 190 East         linzell AT neptunesci DOT com |
| Slidell, LA 70461-2443 USA     http://www.NeptuneSci.com/ |
| My PGP Public Key(s):     http://www.pgp.net/wwwkeys.html |