[csw-users] Newbie with SS10/Sol9 having problems.

Josh Kuperman josh.kuperman at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 16:23:06 CEST 2005

On Jun 2, 2005, at 4:12 PM, Alex S Moore wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 15:12:31 -0400
> Robert Stampfli <rob at colnet.cmhnet.org> wrote:
>

>> On Wed, Jun 01, 2005 at 11:30:55PM +0200, Ihsan Dogan wrote:
>>

>>> This is true, but the first Solaris 9 releases are shipped with
>>> sun4m support.
>>>

>> Are you inferring that some of the later Solaris 9 releases
>> removed sum4m support?  I find this hard to believe, but
>> if it is true, what release was the breaking point?
>>

> For Solaris 9 9/04, see
> http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/817-5772/6ml74a7pc?a=view
>
> Find sun4m reveals:
> sun4m Hardware
>
> sun4m hardware might not be supported in a future release.

Cool, now I know: (1) sun4m is supported through 9/2004 release of
Solaris 9. (2) From that document, in some manner the libraries
should work for both 32 and 64 bit sparc architectures. (3) This
probably does not apply to everything in the CSW archives.

So my plan is: Download a fresh set of iso images and then reinstall
Solaris 9, add patches that are needed, and then get CSW working
again. While everything from sun looks like it will support sun4m 32
bit architecture if they release it for Solaris 9 (or 8 or 7), since
if it was only 64 bit I imagine they would simply say it's for
Solaris 10, I suspect I would have to figure out how to build some
apps manually with 32 bit libraries or live without.