[csw-users] pkg-get and Solaris 10 Zones

Luke Youngblood lyoungblood at phonechargeinc.com
Wed Mar 30 21:58:36 CEST 2005

I wondered about this as well.  I've been experimenting with Solaris 10 a
bit, and I think I've isolated the problem:

When you setup your zone, you set inherit-pkg-dir=/opt/csw.  This tells
Solaris to automatically share all packages installed under this path with
the zone.  Sounds great, right?

Well, the real problem is that the inherit-pkg-dir is read-only, in order to
keep one zone from modifying files that are used by other zones, so nothing
inside of /opt/csw/etc can be modified.  This makes most packages break
because you can't edit their .conf files.

I'm not sure of the workaround.  There is probably something new in the
Solaris 10 package format that allows you to place some files in /etc/csw or
some other folder that is read-write by each zone, where each zone has their
own copy.

Admittedly, I've only played with Zones for a short amount of time.  I was
quite impressed with the way packages are inheritable.  It should make life
very easy for sysadmins that need to setup multiple development environments
and so forth, but some of the quirks need to be worked out.

Luke