[csw-users] libidn fails to install

James Lee james at blastwave.org
Thu May 5 13:09:13 CEST 2005

On 05/05/05, 06:13:59, Robert Stampfli <rob at cboh.org> wrote regarding
[csw-users] libidn fails to install:

> I just ran pkg-add this evening to update libidn (I was on
> 0.5.5,REV=2004.10.02 and was updating to 0.5.9,REV=2005.04.14
> from ibiblio) and it failed to install in the postinstall
> script twice.  Luckily, I still had the old package hanging
> around and could reinstall that.

Although there is an error message the package will have installed.

The problem is the return value of postinstall script that updates
the info dir table.

It returns the return value of its last command, (there is no
explicit return).   postinstall calls /opt/csw/sbin/mkdirentries
and it doesn't have an explict return either and returns the status
of its last command.  That command returns 1 which suggests to
pkgadd that it has failed.

Run this as root (which is basically /opt/csw/sbin/mkdirentries):

#!/bin/sh
BASE=/opt/csw

FILES=`ls $BASE/share/info | /usr/xpg4/bin/grep -v -e "~" -e "dir"`

for i in $FILES; do
    /opt/csw/bin/install-info $BASE/share/info/$i $BASE/share/info/dir
    echo $?
done

and you can see why.

The workaround is for postinstall to always return 0.  The fix is
with texinfo.